Saturday, July 23, 2005

Today

Recovering this morning from a cracking evening at Ston Easton Park yesterday. This was our "deal meal" - all the management team and partners. Lovely grub, much champagne and wine were drunk and the conversation veered from the quiet and gentle to the raucous and back again.

Paul took some of us in the Daimler. Definitely felt the part as we swirled up to the door in silver elegance.

On the way back, I succumbed to the combined effects of alcohol, food and a long day, having been in Sheffield earlier. I went to sleep. Much raucous laughter from the occupants of the back seat as I swayed around, probably snoring.

In My Day

I am a master at falling asleep in cars. When I was doing the computerisation of PAYE training, back in 1985, I was still a learner driver. I had to travel to the training centre in Southampton from Eastbourne each week and, when I could, blagged lifts from my Sussex-dwelling colleagues.

My colleague Bill had an Austin Healey Sprite. One of the those ancient cars that some men own and love, and consider very cool. I persuaded Bill to give me a lift back on one occasion. I warned him that I always fall asleep when a passenger in a car. "Not in mine!", he said. "It's far too uncomfortable."

We crammed our luggage into the back of the car where it poked into my back. There wasn't nearly enough room for my exceptionally long legs. And Bill had the top off.

We set off. Next thing I knew we were at Arundel, when Bill had to stop to put the top on because it was raining. Yup! I'd snoozed the whole way. Bill talked about it for months.

Anyway, I regard sleeping in the car as a tribute to the smoothness of the driver.

No comments: