Saturday, July 30, 2005

In My Day

Spent yesterday slaving over a hot stove. I'd offered myself as cook for all the vegetarian catering for my nephew's wedding which is today.

Becky arrived the night before and Lizzie turned up in the morning. I had discovered that my "mini pimmer" made short work of nuts and breadcrumbs. Becky chopped 12 onions, I grated 9 carrots. The oven was filled with peppers, courgettes, aubergines and red onions. I directed operations while the girls made several nut loaves and cottage cheese loaves. I completed the slimy task of removing the skins from the roasted peppers and made the roasted vegetable terrine.

Later I made 4 different kinds of hummus.

Everything is ready for slicing and presentation. Plus today we must cook the stuff that doesn't keep overnight.

In My Day

On the morning of my wedding day, I could be seen walking along Western Road, Brighton, carting several carrier bags containing the food for the wedding feast. We were seriously broke but I'd splashed out on salads, cold meats, cheese, strawberries, raspberries and cream.

I went home and prepared the food. I did the strawberries and raspberries with lovely cream in individual dishes and set them out in the kitchen.

Then I scrambled into my dress and went off to my shoestring wedding (that's a subject for another blog!).

Back to our house with our family and friends to celebrate. We ate the salads and other savouries. I went out to the kitchen to collect the piece de resistance - the desserts. Our kitchen was in the process of being done up and had no door. As I approached I heard a little thump and saw my cat Ariadne running off down the passage. When I got to the kitchen - there were the desserts, but no sign of cream. All of it was inside Ariadne.

What to do? Nothing for it - I served the dessert without the cream and said nothing. In fact I said nothing for several years until it became apparent that no-one had suffered any ill effects.

Actually I should stop time wasting and get on with making the spinach and cream cheese roulades.

No comments: