Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Shower

Today

There seem to be a large number of babies arriving among family and friends right now and I notice that some people have even adopted the American custom of "baby showers". In some ways it's a lovely idea with the baby being celebrated even before birth and the parents receiving some delightful and useful items.

In My Day

I have already said in another blog how little I bought before Lizzie was born. This was partly down to poverty and a general tendency to leave things till the last minute, but I have to admit to a superstitious feeling about too much preparation.

My logical side tells me that whether the contents of Mothercare have been been bought or whether you have nothing this will not affect the outcome. I suppose I felt, and still feel a little bit, how sad it must be to have a fully-kitted out nursery if something then goes wrong.

I think that this is the real reason why I started out life with Lizzie with half-a-dozen nappies and a single babygro. 

I still don't start on making my famous Baby ball and I don't buy or make a congratulations card until I hear of the safe arrival . 

Of course, scan technology has taken a good deal of uncertainty out of this particular event, and anyway, I have already made two Moses basket linings and cut out a babygro in "Happy Houses" print. And in Ireland last week Wesz said that if I bought any more stuff Baby Donnelly would only get to wear each item once! 

So much for superstition!

No comments: