Monday, July 15, 2013

Corny

Today

Last Saturday, after a long and hot day we relaxed over a meal at Cafe Piano in Wells. Among the vegetables served with our dinner were some tasty little mini sweet corns. "I remember when I first ate mini sweet corn," I said to Paul "Do you?"

In My Day

In 1980 we took up a kind invitation to visit Canada to stay with my sister Carol. 

One memorable day we visited Ohsweken, an Indian reservation dedicated to the Canadian Six Indian nations. There was a festival of dance, drama and song and we took our places to watch the description of Indian life.

Later we joined the Indians in dances to celebrate rain and friendship. As the skies darkened to evening we linked arms and chugged sweatily around the stadium just celebrating being there.

This was hard work and when all was over we were ready for some refreshments. There were many stalls, manned by Six Nations people. One of these simply offered sweet corn. Succulent mini corns were bubbling in a cauldron and they were just ladled into cardboard containers and offered to us. Delicious! I thought so then and think so still and am very glad they they are now readily available in our supermarkets.

I don't know how staged this event was or how much it was a representation of the reality of Canadian Indian life, but I've always relished the memory of that joyous evening and the ways in which it enriched my life.

No comments: