Saturday, March 16, 2013

Suited and Bootee'ed

Today

Becky is visiting this weekend and the talk turned, not surprisingly, to the subject of baby clothes. Her mother in law, Poppy, likes to knit; I like to sew, so between us we have it covered.

In My Day

When Lizzie was born, back in 1972 we were given some knitted gifts; two beautiful receiving blankets knitted by my Italian sister-in-law's mother and a floor blanket made by Mamma. Paul's sister had knitted two pairs of white leggings for Lizzie. "Just the job," I thought "with winter coming on and all."

"I washed them very carefully," Mum said as he handed me the package. Well, either she hadn't been careful enough or Jenny's tension was all over the shop. These leggings would have been loose on a six-year old.

I thanked Jenny and put the leggings away, wondering what to do with them, but feeling that it would be rude just to chuck them out.

Lizzie's cousin Katherine was born six months later with a congenital deformity in her hips. When she was about nine months old the decision was made to operate on the hips. Her little legs were plastered and splinted at a 180 degree angle, knees bent.

"She doesn't seem bothered by it,"said Chris "but it's winter and we have no idea what to dress her in." "Ah!" I said "I have the perfect thing!" Out came the leggings which stretched easily over Katherine's splayed and plastered legs. She wore these until the plasters came off, round about her birthday, by which time they were completely worn out and had given sterling service.

I don't think that leggings will be needed, Poppy, but if Becky and Richard's baby isn't the best dressed in Wandsworth, it won't be for want of trying. And I still have the blankets, after forty years and will shortly be resurrecting them for Baby Donnelly.



No comments: