Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Love is in the Air

Today

Becky's wedding on Saturday was lovely. The sun shone and there was love being expressed everywhere you looked. The readings and singing during the ceremony were all about love in its many forms. from "Love Rescue Me" to a whimsical reading in which the writer offers love and asks for tolerance for her many failings.

Of course, Becky & Richard are "in love", but it also seems clear that they love each other which may not be the same thing.

In My Day

During my teens, I found the whole idea of being "in love" rather strange. I didn't really like boys and thought that they didn't really like me.

I had a few boyfriends but, while I enjoyed their company and wasn't immune to sexual feelings, I couldn't empathise with the boys' evident besottedness. In fact, there was something a little bit frightening about their intensity.

I suppose that my relationship with Paul started out in much the same way. We had fun together and much in common, but I wasn't in love.

When did I realise that I loved him and was also "in love"? Was it the time I ran down the hill with wet hair in freezing weather to meet him? That may have been the start. I remember a defining moment. It must have been a Sunday morning and I was with Paul at his parents' flat in Eastbourne. We were curled up together when Paul suddenly looked at me. "Your face is full of love" he said, slightly wonderingly. I burst into tears, overcome by the truth of his statement. And that feeling hasn't changed.

Not having been "in love" more than once, I can't hope to understand those whose feelings of love are constantly in a state of change.

What I do know is that love is a gift and I never lose my sense of privilege when I am on the receiving end.

No comments: