Thursday, February 03, 2011

Making the Most

Today

During my recent stay at the Lorrens Health Hydro with my best mate, I found myself thinking about the whole issue of personal presentation and the connection between health and beauty. My sister recently grumbled that these pampering places are all about beauty. "But beauty and health are closely linked." I replied.

Now that I'm retired, I'm less inclined to style my hair daily, wear jewellery, make-up or high-heels. Of course, my days are more likely to be spent walking the lanes or doing the garden rather than chairing board meetings, but is that really any reason for not making that effort?

And I don't think that the fact that I've been married nearly forty years has anything to do with it either; taking proper care of myself keeps things alive. While I was at Flare Paul sometimes used to grumble that I looked at my sexy best just as I was leaving for work.....

In My Day

When I was a child I never saw Mamma in trousers until these became fashion items, or, indeed, in anything resembling official workwear. She always wore dresses, even for a walk in the country or to do gardening and these would have been supported by the usual corsets and underslip. She wore stockings and courts shoes pretty well constantly.

She very much disapproved of women who spent their days with rollered up hair under scarves, wearing overalls to protect their clothing. I'm not sure that I understood her reasoning - the overall idea seemed quite sensible. The most she did was to pop a little "Dutch" apron over her dress which possibly protected a few inches at the front. I actually think this was a rare example of Mamma being snobbish; she didn't want to be mistaken for the cleaning lady.

This attitude meant that she was at least always ready if the doorbell rang. On the other hand she didn't pay particular attention to skin or hand care. Her hair was tightly rolled into a bun and her concessions to make-up were to wear lipstick and powder (over bare skin) on occasion. She wore necklaces (I remember her sweet little silver necklace in the form of violets which I still have), but no other jewellery.

Men frequently proclaim that they aren't interested seeing in their women bedecked in makeup, sexy clothes etc etc, but I'm not sure that I take much notice of this.

My attitude to this was shaped by a cynical little tale in one of my favourite books "Daddy Long-legs" in which the heroine recounts a tale of a clergyman who vociferously argued for "dress reform" . His wife, to oblige him, adopted this style of clothing. Her husband shortly after bolted with a chorus girl....

So I think I will persevere with the skin and hair care and try to ensure that I wear high heels and makeup at least a couple of times a week - just because I like to.

No comments: