Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lighting up Time

Today

My nephew's Facebook status today was a short rant about a close encounter between his bicycle and a woman driving a Corsa. He fumed that his bike lights were "BRIGHT AS THE CORE OF THE BLOODY SUN!" Which is the point, really.

In My Day

I assume the role of a ranting old woman when I see people riding bikes at night without lights. This varies from a passing shout, stopping lads in the village with a reasonable suggestion, to full-blown ravings.

I think it was back in 1997 while we were having the house redecorated. I'd had a long day at work and was driving back in the early dusk. As I started up the straight approach to Stratton-on-the-Fosse, I had to take swerving avoiding action around a semi-visible cyclist. I was tired and stressed, so, instead of just cursing and driving on, I pulled over and waited for the bike to come alongside.

I wound down the window. "Oi, you!" I yelled politely "Yes, you!" A meek-looking young Vietnamese man stopped his bike beside me. "You haven't any lights on your bike," I told him. "It's not my bike." was the apologetic, but idiotic reply. This didn't help my frame of mind. "What's that got to do with it? I nearly ran you over!" "I'm sorry." "Not half as sorry as you'd be if you were bleeding in a ditch right now!" I warmed to my theme. "Look at you! you're wearing grey clothes as well - you're completely invisible."

I've no idea what the poor chap thought about this crazed middle-aged woman screaming at him in the middle of the road; he was probably terrified. I calmed down a little. "Look," I said "where are you going?" thinking that I could put his bike in my boot and drive him to his destination. "Downside Abbey", he replied. Downside was about 200 yards further up the road.

"Well", I said "I suggest you cross the road to where there's a footpath and walk the rest of the way!" With that I drove home to a darkened and untidy house where I ranted some more, leaving Mr Vietnam to make what he could of his encounter.

And then there was the time when I nearly caught an unlit bike on a country lane one night. I hope that it was my uninhibited complaints that led me to see the bike every night after that lit up like the proverbial!

The point is, not  only was Jacob's bike lit up but the woman in the Corsa was smoking a fag (and was probably on her mobile as well). So, rant on, Jacob, you have my full support!

No comments: