Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Raincheck

Today

Another dump of about 6 inches of snow fell last night on top of the last lot which is largely untouched. We cleared and salted the steps and path and helped our neighbour get his car up the close.

"It's raining in Oakhill" he told us later. Oakhill is about two miles away. Apparently the temperature in Dorchester is 5 degrees.

Later the Somerset Podiatry Service rang to ask me if I could make it to an appointment tomorrow. The caller stopped herself "I've just seen your address," she said "of course you can't." I asked her what is was like in Frome. "Well, actually, I'm calling from Wells," she answered "and it's not too bad here."

In My Day

Which takes me back to a weekend in, I think, 1989 or 1990. Becky was about twelve and some of her friends were staying for the weekend. There was Sarah from Cranmore, Tuesday from Shepton and Emma (was that her name - I may have made it up) from Pilton.

We had a pleasant evening - they were a mannerly bunch - although they were probably awake half the night watching videos and chatting.

In the morning when I got up I saw that the Close was covered in snow and it was still falling fast. I woke up the girls. "Sorry to cut your weekend short," I said "But you'd better call your parents to tell them to pick you up now while they can still get through."

Sarah first. Her brother answered. "Oh, Mum's already left," he said "As soon as she saw the weather."

Next Tuesday. Her Mum answered. "Snow?" she asked doubtfully "It's raining rather hard here in Shepton, but if you say so. I'll get going."

When Emma called, her mother simply thought she was pulling her leg. "The sun's shining here," she said "What are you on about? I wasn't going to pick you up until lunchtime." She was clearly annoyed at losing her child-free lie-in. Emma pleaded and eventually her mother came to collect her. Much astonishment at the differences in the weather, comments about how hard it can be to get down the Close, and Emma was forgiven.

It's surprising how much colder it can be when you live on top of the heap, so to speak.

No comments: