Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Today

Off to the dentist yesterday. How remarkable is that? Well, I haven't been for 20 years, that's how!

Result? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Teeth in better nick than they've any right to be.

In My Day

I did go to the dentist regularly as a child, which is more than my parents did. Mamma had a full set of dentures which caused her endless trouble when consuming raspberries or tomatoes. Daddy didn't believe in dentists and had a fairly full set of fairly yellowish horse-like gnashers.

I mostly remember going alone and being subjected to all but the worst fillings and extractions without anaesthetic. Of course I was frightened of the dentist; it was frightening. An extraction using laughing gas also made me very wary of masks to breathe through. The masks they used were of rubber and had a vile smell. I've been convinced since that I can smell it every time I'm offered nitrous oxide, even though I know that it doesn't smell and the mask is of plastic.

I last went to the dentist before moving to the West Country - just never got around to going till now.

Anyhow, I've an appointment with the hygienist, who, I'm told, is far worse than the dentist.

No comments: