Thursday, November 10, 2005

Today

Last weekend was a success with regard to renewing friendships. We went to supper with an old colleague of mine, whom I hadn't seen in 10 years. She used to be one of our trainers and she left 10 years ago for pastures new. I bumped into her at my financial advisors' office, on reception. Delighted to see each other and much enjoyed our catching up session in her immaculate little bungalow just up the road.

She inadvertently led me to another catch-up session, having worked with a former friend. I say "former" as some sort of misunderstanding, generated out of who knows what, caused us to stop communicating with each other about 8 years ago.

I learnt that she'd had a good deal of illness and various other troubles; her phone number hadn't changed, so, on Sunday I called her up. She seemed jolly pleased, if a little surprised and I heard all about her life for the past 8 years.

In My Day

As my 50th birthday loomed, I became aware that Paul and the girls had some scheme afoot. I guessed what it was and also that they were struggling. Down the pub one night, I said "My birthday - do you want some help?" "Yes, please!" they cried. So I gave them a couple of clues about the possible whereabouts of various old friends of mine.

And they had some success. Becky tracked down an old boyfriend of mine who couldn't come - it was his 20th wedding anniversary that night. Paul found a college friend, who didn't come to the party, but with whom I've caught up a couple of times.

On the night, my old conductor of Musica Antiqua (see April 10th entry) and his wife turned up, with a CD of our music-making. We've seen them several times since. They are always delighted to see us and offer us the kindest hospitality. They are now proud grandparents.

Best of all was my friend Hugh. I'd known Hugh back in the Croydon Young Players days in about 1964 and had lost touch with him and his wife Shirley since about 1975. Paul took a speculation with Directory Enquiries, telling them that the name was so unusual that there was probably only one in England. After they'd told him that they didn't do a country-wide search, they then said that, actually, there was only one and gave Paul the number. How delighted I was when they arrived at my door! I remembered why we'd been friends in the first placed.

We saw each other a few times after that and they turned up at our millennium party, 2 years later. How sad that he died of lung cancer in 2003. I would have been even sadder if I hadn't had that chance to renew our friendship.

You can't take friendship for granted - it's a precious gift.

No comments: