Saturday, November 26, 2016

Readies

Today

Yesterday evening Beatrice, with an air of surprise, pulled a £20.00 note out of her top. "I'd forgotten all about it," she said "I put it there when we walked to pub to keep my hands free. Very useful, bras are, to keep things in. Mamma used to do that."

Me too.

In My Day

I think it must have been about 1992. My choir had been asked to give a concert at a local church (Bruton, I'm certain). I was secretary and had told the organiser that we charged £200.00.

Dressed in our best we arrived at the church to deliver the concert. During the interval I went up to the organiser and said "How do you want to settle this?" "Oh, I've got the money here", she said, and handed me £200.00 in £10 notes.

As I looked at the wad, the conductor called us back for the second half. I, too, was not carrying a bag. Nothing for it; I stuffed the notes into my bosom and joined the choir for the rest of the concert, where the notes crackled alarmingly during the quiet bits. I hoped that no-one would notice it or my lopsided appearance.

It was the first time I've sung with a bundle of the readies nestling next to my heart and I expect it to be the last.

4 comments:

hitaakademi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily Shorette said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pam said...

HAHA.....too funny. I retired in July and I hung the bras up then. I now wear a spaghetti strap tank top under all my shirts! As for carrying things around in it, I tried carrying my healing stones in mine when I worked....only to lose a couple! Not enough to hold it in I guess.