Sunday, August 03, 2014

Night Life

Today

So sad to see Eastbourne Pier go up in flames. There was a chorus of regrets and memories from many people.

"My first visit to a nightclub was on Eastbourne Pier", remembered Becky.

In My Day

In 1989 Lizzie and Becky went to stay in Eastbourne with my friends the Levetts. I'm sure that they had lots of fun together and on one occasion, paid a visit to the night club on the Pier.

Lizzie and Becky went with friend Frannie. Becky hadn't gone to Eastbourne equipped for clubbing so my friend Beverley lent her a dress (probably an LBD). Hair was washed, makeup applied and the girls set off on their jaunt.

The rules of the club were strict; no entry to under 18-year olds, which explains why Lizzie, aged 16, Frannie aged, 15 and Becky bringing up the rear at age 11, were able to get in with ease. Becky hadn't reached her full 6ft in height by that time, but she was tall and elegant and Beverley's dress, which I suspect was rather too short for her, added to the impression that she was older than she actually was.

At this distance I shan't ask how they managed to wangle their way in, nor how they entertained themselves while they were there, since they are all safe and well and I didn't know about it until afterwards.  If I had known, would I have prevented it? Probably not, as I have always been laissez-faire about this sort of thing.

It remains to be seen what attitude her parents will have should Carmen want to go clubbing at age eleven.

No comments: