Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ring of Change

Today
My sister-in-law Joan and I were admiring a new ring which adorned the hand of our niece yesterday. It was a pretty gold-coloured band formed of flowers. "I've not really been a 'ring' person up to now," said Ruth "but these were very pretty so I'd thought I'd try." Joan wondered how much they'd get in the way of washing up etc. "They're dress rings," said I "not ones to wear all the time", adding that I personally only wear "official" rings, so to speak.

In My Day

As I have described before, Paul and I were penniless when we celebrated our rapidly arranged wedding in 1971. We went into a jewellers in Brighton to buy a wedding ring. After much agonising we chose a plain band, about 5mm wide. This cost the princely sum of £6.00 and we pushed the boat out by buying a white gold ring at £6.50. Paul was unable to afford it so I forked out for my own wedding ring.

I think it was 1999; we were in the shopping Mall at Cribb's Causeway. As we passed a jewellers, Paul suddenly stopped and said "It's about time I bought you a proper wedding ring, Mrs Barrett." I was so surprised I actually felt a bit of a flutter like a Victorian maiden and was tempted to reply "Oh, Sir, this is so sudden!"

We didn't rush things but went into several jewellers in Bath before choosing a gold double band. it was now pretty close to our wedding anniversary so Paul decided to wait until then before placing the ring on my finger.

It so happened that the anniversary coincided with the bi-annual "Fete Champetre" at Stourhead. The theme was "La Belle Epoch" and Paul, Lizzie and I dressed in white tie, tails and top hats with opera cloaks. I had arranged for a picnic for Flare staff and many of them also came along, some suitable dressed. When they  became aware of the fact that it was our anniversary and were told the story of the ring, they wouldn't let Paul get away with just giving me the ring. Oh, no! They insisted that he get down on one knee and place on my hand. Which he did, amid much cheering and clinking of glasses.

People asked me what I was going to do with the white gold ring. "That's the one I was married with!" I said "It stays right on my finger!"

Which is why I have worn two wedding rings ever since. 

No comments: