Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Engage Brain

Today

I'd be the first to admit that I'm inclined to jump in rather too quickly when people are saying things. You could call it quick thinking or you could call it interrupting. But, either way it must be annoying and it's rude.

This morning, while I was trying out whether Velcro pads were the way to replace the rosette on my shoes, Paul was talking about whether we should go ahead with an item we wanted to order.

Partly because, I guessed at what he was about to say, and partly because I wanted to concentrate on the shoe, I was rather dismissive. Paul, not surprisingly, was a little put out.

Later I said "I'm really sorry; I was just plain rude," and was forgiven.

In My Day

In that part of my life when I thought that to be a needlework teacher would be just the ticket, I did a teaching practice at Ratton School in Eastbourne. The needlework teacher was a small, determined woman who hailed from Manchester. She told me that we'd be doing patchwork and started the class off. She usually remained in attendance during my classes and to have her dumpy brown presence (she seemed generally to be wearing brown) at the back of the class was a little disconcerting.

This was a fairly good school and the girls were by and large, pretty compliant. One of the hardest-working girls was a redhead who also hailed from Manchester. One day she wanted to ask a question. She put up her hand and rose to ask the question. I can't remember the question but I do remember that, without thinking, I replied in a broad stage Mancunian accent. The class froze, the girl tuned bright red and Mrs Unsworth glowered. There seemed nothing for it "I'm so sorry," I said "that was very rude of me." The girl sat down and Mrs Unsworth relaxed. It seemed that I'd redeemed myself.

It does seem as though a: I haven't really improved over the years and b: that it's best to admit it and apologise. At least that way you have the saving graces of honesty and humility.

And using velcro was a shocking idea, by the way.

No comments: