Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Truth from Above

Today

Last week we had our autumn concert and, as usual, I was asked to give a reading. I chose "Advent Calendar" by Rowan Williams. This poem passionately links the coming of Christ to the variable English winter weather.

Having chosen the poem, I soon realised that it has many layers and I worked hard on the interpretation. Although I was feeling rather poorly at the time, I delivered it well and many people offered congratulations. As many of them are dedicated and committed Christians, I was especially flattered.

I found myself reflecting that, not believing in the literal or even implied meaning doesn't mean that I can't see its power nor understand its importance to other people. The final piece in the puzzle is that empathy and understanding are more significant than personal belief when communicating to others.

In My Day

I remember this coming home to me most forcefully some years ago. David had asked me whether I would sing a carol with Alice on cello and him on organ at the little non-conformist chapel in his village. The chapel has long since ceased to operate so I guess that this was back in about 1989. The chosen song was "Mary's Boy Child" the calypso carol made famous by Harry Belafonte. We worked hard on the calypso rhythm and were ready.

The little chapel was full and various people with a wide range of talents contributed in song and poetry. Now it was our turn. The carol is fairly long so I invited the congregation to join in alternate choruses. They listened so attentively and with so much joy on their faces as we performed the first verse and took up the chorus with enthusiasm. I felt the uplift and allowed myself to be supported by their shared joy and belief. I hoped and believed that our little contribution informed and enhanced their belief. And the feeling of elation lingers still.

As a singer, I feel that it is my privilege and duty to use song to bring a better understanding of all aspects of human life experience and beliefs, whatever they are. And if I managed that last Saturday then I feel very satisfied.

No comments: