Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rose Bowl

Today

On Saturday we went to Paul's cousin's retirement party. There were several relations there whom I hadn't seen since 1975.

We talked about Roger's deceased mother, Norah; her vivaciousness, tendency to call out at 11.00 am in a plummy voice "Bar's open!" and her impact on our lives.

"Do you know", I said to Roger's Aunt Joan "I haven't seen you since "Miss Saltdean" in 1975".

In My Day

Roger's mother, lived in Telscombe. She had her daughter Debbbie living with her as well as her grand-daughter who was about Lizzie's age, so we often visited and were quite close for a time.

Norah had a spell as Mayor of Saltdean. One day she called us and begged us to attend a civic dance being held at Butlins, Saltdean. It was very out of season and I think she was afraid no-one would go. We flossied ourselves up and went along.

Debbie and Auntie Joan were there as well so there were some familiar faces. Norah told us that she had been asked to be on the adjudicating panel at an event that evening "Miss Saltdean 1975" and would we girls be willing to add to the numbers. I say "girls" but Joan couldn't have been far short of fifty.

We sportingly registered our names and got on with having a good time. Eventually the contest started. As this was in February and far more genteel than Miss World, we weren't expected to parade around in cossies or anything like that. Instead we joined a line-up of women and walked around the dance floor. A DJ interviewed us and I have no idea what he asked me or what I said.

Eventually, the winners were called, "In third place - Mrs Joan Barnett!" Auntie Joan stepped forward. "In second, Miss Debbie Barnett!". Debbie joined her aunt. Norah was beginning to look embarrassed. Would the rest of the council think that it was a set up?

"In first place, Julia Barrett!" announced the DJ. I joined the others, was draped in a sash and awarded a rather pretty rose bowl. Norah was by now hiding under the table. "I didn't vote for any of you!" she protested. "Well, Norah", I reassured her, "When you look at the competition, it's not really surprising that we won!"

This early success certainly didn't lead me into the Beauty Queen world and I now couldn't say what happened to the rose bowl.

2 comments:

Douglas d'Enno said...

Hi Julia
Enjoyable recollections, read with interest. Just wondering about Norah as 'Mayor of Saltdean' though, since Saltdean did not & does not have a mayor. Maybe you meant Telscombe?
The Ocean Hotel is now the Grand Ocean apartments, nearly all sold.
Cheers
Douglas d'Enno (author, 'The Saltdean Story', 1985).

Julia said...

Well you know how it is, Douglas, these are my memories and Norah has been dead 10 years....