Friday, April 16, 2010

There's a Place for Us

Today

There's a widely held fallacy which is that cats are more connected to places than people. As Agnes & Albinoni (Liz will call him "Albers" and I suppose I can't object as he belongs to her now) are comfortably settled in now, being more attached to each other and their feeding bowls than anything else.

And Abby successfully travelled with us to Brighton, taking only a couple of hours to find some favoured places (Under the chaise long where she imagines she's hidden but doesn't realise her tail's sticking out, and by the sitting room radiator). Having us there to cuddle her is clearly what matters most and a total absence of other cats.

In My Day

I've had a few travelling cats. Ariadne travelled home with me nearly every weekend, came on holiday to Blue Anchor bay and home with her kitten Algernon at the end of one summer term. She came with me to Eastbourne where she so upset the resident tortoiseshell cat that I had to ask Mamma to look after her at 4BH. She lived with me at the Gatehouse, Wilmington, happily hunting in the meadows, at Cromwell Road, Hove and Belmont. She never seemed to require settling in; if she could smell my scent and hear my voice she was fine.

Annalise and Ajax used to travel in the car, attached only by harnesses and leads. We took them with us, much like one takes a dog; they were happy anywhere. It was only when they were at the gatehouse without us that they ran off, never to be seen again.

I rather like to feel that it's me that makes the difference, unless it's just a full feeding bowl!

No comments: