Thursday, March 25, 2010

Poor Kitty

Today

So sorry for my great niece whose little cat was killed yesterday, I assume in an accident. She's doubly upset because the cat was left lying where she was killed and she's angry at the implication of callousness. Of course, it may be that the perpetrator wasn't even aware of what had happened; cats can move very quickly. But either way, it's very distressing for her.

In My Day

Agamemnon was perhaps the most handsome cat I've ever owned. He was very aware of his regal good looks but this didn't stop him from being very affectionate; he just loved to sit on my lap!

The time was about half-past midnight, the date 5 May 1993. I was awoken by a horrible yowling under my window. "Oh, Agamemnon!" I thought "go and make this noise somewhere else!" I was quite accustomed to his territorial noisy gestures, designed to warn other cats off. I opened the window and there he was, crouching on the front lawn. I told him to stop his noise.

As soon as he saw me he started to come toward the house. Only he couldn't. He used his front legs to pull himself forward but was clearly severely hurt. I ran downstairs and picked him up. I couldn't see any blood but his back legs had simply stopped working. How he had dragged himself all the way home I've no idea.

In the morning, I had an appointment with Daddy's memorial but Paul agreed to take the cat to the vet. Later that afternoon I called Paul who told me that the vet had said that Agamemnon had suffered damage to his spine, probably from a glancing blow from a car. He'd been given a steroid injection but the vet wasn't too hopeful.

Home I dashed to take my beloved cat on my lap. I'm not sure that he knew who I was. His lips were curled backwards and soon he was having fits. I just held him tight, unable to do anything but watch as he died in great distress. I suppose this didn't take very long but it seemed long to me. Although he was eighteen years old, he had till then been in excellent health and I felt upset at having him snatched away from me.

I can only hope that the driver of the car that eventually dispatched him had not been aware of this happening and am glad that at least Agamemnon came home to die. Natasha, I know just how much you will miss little Bella.

No comments: