Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Twinkle Toes

Today

We're now in Kaua'i on the penultimate leg of our tour. Another resort which could completely change my mind about resort holidays - the Grand Hyatt at Poipu. It's beautiful, with a staggering attention to detail. We breakfast surrounded by waterfalls and pools on which swans swim and from which fish leap. We gaze at the ocean with the surging waves. Our every wish is anticpated.

And there are also shops!

One of these is called the Sandal Tree. On the somewhat tenuous grounds that I needed some "city" shoes for San Francisco, I popped in to take a look.

Ended up buying some glorious black patent peep-toe wedges with clear perspex heels and some very silly mules with strawberries for heels.

In My Day

Mamma had good legs and liked to wear stilletoes or other fashionable shoes. Daddy, so generous in so many ways, couldn't understand the need for any form of frivolous clothing, nor, indeed, nor than one set of anything.

I got my first Saturday job back in 1962 working for a trading stamp company - Pink stamps (they were the 60's equivalent of Nectar, I guess). I saved my wages till I could buy a coveted pair of shoes from Ravel in Croydon. They were in very classy brown leather with several buttoned straps across the instep and a nice heel.

I bought patent leather shoes (I & my friend Lynda often found we'd chosen the same style), wedges, white patent (I was wearing a pair of those on my first date with Paul) Roman soldier inspired sandals when they were all the rage; in fact every frivolous style you can imagine. I remember owning a pair of very high wooden platform sandals back in 1975 and having to manage luggage and the 2-year-old Liz on the underground while wearing them Ah, well, you have to suffer etc.

I still wear high heels and, in fact, own a pair of Pradas!

No comments: