Monday, April 23, 2007

Smalls

Today

Another blog about choices and whether we have too many.

Having 2 places to live (that's another choice issue) has presented us with an interesting problem: what type and how many clothing items should have a permanent home in either location? After all, we want to be able just to nip off, so to speak, to Brighton, without a marathon packing session.

Essential must be underwear. For Paul this might seem easy: so many pairs of underpants and socks (black, brown, grey) and he's sorted. And so it is, except for 2 problems.

The first is that he keeps forgetting how many he's got of what where, so ends up taking more to be on the safe side and then finding out that he hasn't got any back home. At least not any that really work.

Which brings us to the second problem which is that the search is still on for the perfect style. Boxers (ride up) Button Front (the buttons won't stay done up) briefs (ride down) Trunks (get twisted) Y fronts (please!) and so on. So at any one moment he may have all his button fronts in Brighton and all his boxers in Somerset. And none of them are any good.

For me, it's even more difficult. I have bras in a range of styles, (depends on what's going on top), colours and sizes (as my weight varies). So, in the end, I just take what I need.

Knickers have so many styles (brief, high rise, thongs, boxers, shorts, midi, maxi, control) that I lose concentration in M&S. as you can see if you look at this link. And which to wear depends on what's going on top (beware the VPL!).

In My Day

I don't remember having so much choice. Bras in anything over a "C" cup tended to resemble the Clifton suspension bridge and came in black, white and "flesh". And the straps had a tendency to snap if you moved too quickly.

As a child I wore "pants" - these were usually navy blue and actually seemed to gather into elastic around the top of the thigh. They were certainly up to the task of holding in your tucked-up skirt if you wanted to mimic doublet and hose or were going paddling. Pretty they were not.

As a teenager I could buy knickers which were either briefs (slipped down uncomfortably beneath your tummy) or full (reminded you of Grandma). In the end, the best option seemed to be to buy packs of ten at a knock down price and throw them out when they got holes in them.

Speaking to my sister-in-law a while ago, she told me that she never bought knickers for herself; they were always bought by her Gran and very pretty they were, too. So, obviously, I'd been missing something.

No comments: