Friday, March 09, 2007

Not Mushroom Inside

Today

Splendid breakfast this morning. Four big flat mushrooms, sliced, gently fried in butter with wild thyme and black onion seeds. All served with toasted rye bread. Very nice way to start the day.

I bought the mushrooms at the local Tesco. I could've had: Flat mushrooms, closed cup mushrooms (standard or Value) chestnut (small or flat),Portobello, Button, Porcini, Shitake mushrooms or a selection pack of several varieties.

I read an article recently that suggested that we are excessively spoiled for choice in our food buying and harking back to the old days where you had what you were given and put up with it. I don't agree: greater choice adds to variety and fun in my cooking and diet.

In My Day


Mamma would buy 1/4lb mushrooms. They were always the same: middle-sized closed cup.
We only ever had mushrooms with our Sunday breakfast which was also the only day when we had a cooked breakfast. Egg, Bacon, Tomato, fried bread. Mamma would wash the mushrooms and pop them into the frying pan after everything else had been cooked and removed, put on a lid, turn off the stove and let them cook in the residual heat.
Given that there were 6 of us, I probably got about 1 1/2 mushrooms. I do remember enjoying them, though.
On a holiday in Ireland 2 years ago, my brother in law picked some mushrooms from the side of the lane and cooked and ate them for his supper. Now that is a step too far for me!

No comments: