Monday, February 19, 2007

Be Mine

Today

Well, actually, a few days ago now, Paul took me to Ston Easton Park Hotel for a lavish Valentine's day celebration and night in the "Chinese" room. We took the Bentley and very nice she looked too, with several of her nieces and nephews in the car park.

We had tea and seed cake by the fire, acompanied by the longing glances of Sorrel the resident spaniel. We drank probably more Champagne than is strictly necessary, had a lovely meal and were very happy. Paul gave me yet another Valentine's card and behaved in all the ways that were appropriate to the day.

Given our recent history, this was really 2 Valentine's days rolled into one and I enjoyed every moment.

In My Day

If my parents celebrated St Valentine's day, I never knew about it. (There was a rumour that my Brother David, who was due to be born on 14th Feb, was scheduled to be named Valentine, but he wisely hung on for a day, thus escaping this fate.) Certainly there were no romantic candlelit suppers in expensive country house locations.

A few years ago I took on the responsibility for storing all my mother's papers. We sifted through all sorts of things. And, there, among letters, diaries and adverts for my Mother's lecture tours, were the Valentine's cards, faithfully kept, with loving messages from and to Mamma. Even more touching were the hastily written notes when Daddy was doing a late sitting in the House during the war and Mamma couldn't be there when he got home: "Supper is in the kitchen, back 11.00 ish, love Ali". Nothing unusual, but kept for 40 years.

Which just goes to show that, while lavish celebrations are lovely, it's the love that matters.



No comments: