Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Figgy Pudding

Today

Well, I made and iced the cake. I made a lovely veggie christmas pudding (alcohol free so that Aron could enjoy it). Paul always worries that we won't have enough mince pies so I bought 24 miniature and 12 normal Duchy Original mince pies.

So we were all set.

This is how much of these provisions we ate:

About 8 of the miniature mince pies on Christmas Eve and the rest (of the miniature ones) on Boxing day when my enormous family turned up.

And that's it.

So I still have all the other fruit-rich goodies in the cupboard.

In My Day

Mamma used to make several Christmas puddings. They were very black and sticky. She made them in pudding basins, covered first in greaseproof paper, then with muslin tied with string.

We ate the first on Christmas day immediately after the turkey. Others were eaten at Easter, Daddy's birthday etc. They appeared to last forever.

The Christmas cake was probably tackled on Boxing day. It, too, was very black, and a little went a long way.

Mamma bought mincemeat which had suet in it, but made her mince pies with flaky pastry - a very time-consuming business, with its layers of butter. She'd dust them with icing sugar before serving. I think we started eating these on Christmas day and fresh batches were made from time to time.

Anyway, it's as I feared; not only will the cake not get eaten, my icing skills aren't a patch on Mamma's

No comments: