Saturday, July 29, 2006

Today

Paul has devoted much of this Summer to getting a nice tan on his chest and arms. Given that it's been one of the hottest Summers for years and that he's had the time to sit, bare-chested, in the garden, one could assume that he's well on his way to target.

However, he's not satisfied. He still feels too pale. He's planning a jaunt to Sicily in September with a friend and is worried about having the "white Brit" look. So he's bought a fake tan spray to top up. I explained to him about exfoliation and lent him my exfoliating mitt. It's something that you spray on daily so that the colour builds up.

Can't see the need myself - he's already a lot darker that me, but chacun etc....
It's probably all part and parcel of his growing his hair long and buying a sharp little sports car. So long as he doesn't add a leggy blonde....

In My Day

When I was a teenager, getting tanned involved slapping on oil so that you basically fried. (I believe my sister tried that a few times.) I, however, discovered early on that I came out in a rash after about 1/4 hour in the sun.

As SPF was future technology I found the Summers often very troubling. On holiday with David, walking in Exmoor one hot Summer, my hands and arms itched so badly with the rash that I had to wear long sleeves and I walked with the maps rolled up around my poor hands. I slapped on Calomine - again anti-histamine technology was not available - so that I also looked ridiculous with pinkish -white splodged all over me. People probably thought I had leprosy.

When I went on my European hitchhiking adventure I approached my doctor, who said that I had an allergy to UV light and he gave me some cream to apply. It certainly seemed to help.

I've since discovered that the condition is called "polymorphous light eruption" which makes it sound very grand. Having the condition has made me review the whole question of tanning, which, after all, isn't very good for your skin.

I like to think that, when the rest of my generation has wrinkled, leathery skin, I'll have smooth, soft skin like our Victorian forebears, who knew a thing or two.

Thank the medical profession for SFP60, I say!

No comments: