Thursday, June 08, 2006

Today

Took a quick spin to Brighton yesterday to view progress on the flat. The sun was shining and the temperature was in 20s.

Hopped into the Lexus - off with its top. The way in which it folds into the boot is impressive and it's fun just to press the buttons.

Slapped on some factor 60 (some for Paul, too, on his head and forehead) and set off. There was much less windiness that I'd expected, even at 70 mph, and my hair survived the experience rather well.

An unexpected pleasure were the smells - newmown hay, philadelphus blossom and so on. Going through tunnels was a very noisy experience. And we were tempted to play thumpy music - which we did, although belonging to our generation - Deep Purple.

In My Day

When I lived at the Wilmington crossing gate house, my landlords, Eileen & Andy, had an Austin Healy in which they used to whizz around. Like the Lexus, strictly 2-seater. I had no transport and either had to walk to Eastbourne (quite a trek that) or get the bus. As Eileen and I were at the same college it made sense for me to be given a lift in the Austin. Trouble was, Eileen didn't drive and anyway, Andy had to get to work too.

No real problems if the hood was down - I just use to sit up on the back parcel shelf. In this position there was nothing to hold on to. I was much higher than driver or passenger, so had the full force of the wind in may face and hair. My hair used to get impossibly tangled.

Add to this the fact that Andy drove like the 24 year old he was and that the car wasn't exactly the newest car on the road and you have to wonder how I'm here to tell the tale.

It also makes you realise that you took risks during your youth that would have made your parents hair stand on end, so there's no point in railing at the things your children do. Just have to keep fingers crossed.

No comments: