Monday, February 06, 2006

Today

This has been an odd week which has seen the end of my 35 year-old marriage. Having done the deed, I had to phone to tell friends and family. Without exception they were loving and supportive. I realised that I have many friends - it was easy to tell those who were handing out routine sympathy and those who really wanted me to know that they regarded me with love.

I found out that I haven't been the extra in what they saw as a friendship with Paul - it's true that you can't see yourself as others see you. I shan't test their patience - I feel confident in my decision, but it's so nice to know that they're there.

In My Day

At school I generally felt friendless, On my 1st day I sat next to a child who pinched and kicked me all day long. It became clear that my family were rather unusual, so that the views and ideas I assumed were normal were seen by many as odd. So my certainties were rocked. Plus I had to wear glasses - pink wire framed NHS glasses. I remember sitting on the playground wall, feeling very self-conscious and isolated. I broke or lost those specs as soon as I could.

Looking back, I realise that I did have some friends - there was a boy called Phillip and a girl called Christine. And another nice chap who welshed on his friends who were planning to pull some stunt on me involving bubble gum and mud.

Friendship is a gift, not a right. And I'm not about to throw it away.

No comments: