Saturday, June 04, 2005

Today

I'm hanging about, waiting for my Nephew to arrive for the weekend. I'm also waiting for Liz & Aron who are coming over to say "hello" and have breakfast. Paul is doing a wedding. I've tidied up, made James and Claire's bed. I dashed out when I saw a Ford Focus turning in the close - not them, but my new neighbour, who obviously thought I was a curtain twitcher. It's absolutely bucketing down with rain, which is a good sign. I can't seem to be like those people who just get on with their day and seem slightly surprised, if delighted, to see you when you arrive.

I get to the point where I'm perched on the edge of the sofa, watching the clock. Should I call them to make sure they're OK? No, that seems like nagging; I'm sure they'll be here soon. Now that I've deleted my computer games, I can't so easily pass away a few minutes.

Eventually, Liz & Aron arrive, bearing breakfast. Then, James, Claire and Anna. They've actually stopped for breakfast on the way, but don't seem averse to toast and tea.

In My day

I like inviting people around and it seems that I've spent a fair bit of my life in the waiting limbo. Guests divide into those who are more or less on time, those who are always late and those who are always late but phone to tell you.

Our best mates are masters at late arriving. We have learnt to love them despite this little habit. They have several time entirely failed to arrive (although they usually manage to phone up to apologise roughly at the time they should have got here). Once they arrived a day late. I remember laying bets with Paul as to whether they would actually turn up at all on one occasion.

Once, while visiting them, we gained an insight into why this might be. Something had been said about a trip into town. We got up in comfortable time for the jaunt. Made tea, drank it, ate toast. People began to drift into the kitchen in various not quite dressed states. Paul was already in his coat. More tea was made, breakfast was prepared. Paul took off his coat. We sat and chatted. People wandered off to get dressed. Sometime later (it was already about 1.00pm) people drifted back down. Paul put his coat back on. Music was put on, phone calls were made, some little job on the computer was done. More tea was made. I don't think we ever got out at all.

Once we turned up at their house for dinner. They seemed, as usual, delighted to see us, although, also as usual, didn't seem especially prepared for us. Offered us tea. Later on offered us biscuits. Became clear they'd forgotten about the dinner date. We bought fish & chips on the way home.

Had a lovely weekend with my nephew, though.

No comments: